Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 19:59:32 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        ambrisko@whistle.com (Doug Ambrisko)
Cc:        jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za (John Hay), msmith@FreeBSD.ORG (Mike Smith), danny@cs.huji.ac.il (Danny Braniss), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcp boot was: Re: diskless workstation

> | > You don't need those; you can get them out of /etc/fstab.  In particular,
> | > the whole idea of passing the NFS swap details in at this stage is just
> | > *totally* bogus.
> |
> | How do you specify nfs swap in the fstab file? I have been trying the
>
> You don't, it is done via the bootp or dhcp record option 128 for example
>           option option-128 "192.168.2.254:/usr/work/netboot";
> You then have to make the swap file in that directory of format
> 	swap.<IP of client>
> Use dd to create the file by copying /dev/zero for the size you want.
>
> Note during boot up the kernel will tell you what it is using for
> swap via this request.

The option-128 confuse the pxeboot program. If I put

option root-path "/export/diskless";
option option-128 "10.1.2.3:/export/shark";

in the dhcpd.conf file, pxeboot tries to mount /export/sharkM-^[^B-iÿ
as the root filesystem. Removing the option-128 line at least get me to
boot albeit without swap.

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za