Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 1997 05:06:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Craig Johnston <craig@gnofn.org>
Cc:        Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pentium II?

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, FreeBSD Mailing List wrote:

> We have also been evaluating a *jumperless* motherboard manufactrued by
> ABIT. It seems really nice at first; the bus frequency, multiplier, and
> voltage are all set in the BIOS. It gives options for 50,55,60,66,75 and
> 83MHz, with multipliers up to 5.5X. The only, and major, downfall is that
> you CAN NOT OVERCLOCK! How silly is that? As soon as you exceed spec, it

Huh?  Don't tell mine!

I clock my IT5H's bus at 83 Mhz and the multiplier at 1.5 using a
K5-PR166.  I also run it at 75 * 1.75 (needs extra volts).  I
prefer the 83Mhz setting, although the CPU clock speed (125ish)
is actually slower than the 133 or so of the 75*1.75 setup.

> either auto-resets the values or runs unreliably. I couldn't even squeak
> 187.5MHZ out of a K6-166... It amazes me that the board can actually tell
> the difference.

There is a "safety feature" involving the settings going away if
the machine is reset quickly more than once, or something to that
effect, and I think it causes flakiness.

I do find that I will come up at the correct speed when I set the speed
in CPU softmenu and then exit and continue booting.

Once you're sure your speed works, setting "speed error hold"
to "disable" under CPU softmenu seems to help.

If your setting won't boot, try more voltage, it often helps.

> Pentiums also had similar results. I know the "hobbyist" would get a bit
> frustrated.

This is actually a favorite board of overclockers, and many are
overclocking K6s in them.  Play with it some more and if you
can't get even mediocre OCing results, you may have flaky
hardware.

regards,
Craig