Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:20:47 +0400
From:      Igor Roboul <igor@raduga.dyndns.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPPd Program ( and question )

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 02:49:22AM +0800, Lanithium wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone knows of a dialup program that works on freebsd.
> I've tried numerous programs such as wvdial, eznet but they dont work. Are there any ports of these programs or similar ones that run on freebsd?
<joke>
/dev/hands and /dev/reason :-)
</joke>
Use scripts. "man ppp" or "man pppd" are your friends.

PS.
And I have problem with PPP too :-) :-((((
Sometime ago I had Linux at home (long period of time). And could dial to
my work dialin server (Linux, built from Stampede, then trough source upgrades)
Also my users can dial into this Linux box from Win9x boxes. Moreover.
I can dial to it (and use PPP) from my work server (FreeBSD 4.1-S) for testing.
One big difference between my FBSD server (from which I can use PPP), and
my home FBSD workstation is modem.
It is internal ISA USRobotics Sportster 33600. But it was usable for PP from
Linux. And I can use it for dialout. So I can transfer files to/from work
using Z-Modem.
When I look into both FBSD logs and Linux logs I see that they connect, then
try negotiate. After minute one of two hangup :-( This is same with
both user level ppp (via tun) and kernel ppp (pppd)
When I use same ppp config on FBSD server at office, I can make PPP connection.
At office I have external modem.

I think, I need take external modem to home and try with it.

--
Igor Roboul, Unix System Administrator & Programmer @ sanatorium "Raduga",
Sochi, Russia