Date:      Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:57:27 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: resetting dsp parameters

Anthony Kimball scribbled this message on Aug 30:
> One complaint I have with the current sound driver interface is
> that dsp parameters (n channels, sample size, sample rate) are
> reset to non-useful values every time I open the device.
> This makes it unnecessarily hard to write scripts to use the
> device.  For example, I can't write a sndcontrol program to
> change the sample characteristics. and use dd to perform sound i/o,
> because when dd opens the device, the ioctl's have lost effect.
>
> Would a patch (of acceptable quality) to change this be well-recieved?

hmmm... sounds like tty[il] and stty, which I wouldn't mind having...
though there has been some major work done on the pcm stuff, so you
need to make sure your patching against the latest pcm work that is
going on...

I would be interested in it...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 541 684 8449
  Cu Networking					  P.O. Box 5693, 97405

  "The soul contains in itself the event that shall presently befall it.
  The event is only the actualizing of its thought." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson