Date:      Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:57:17 -0400
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
To:        bsd <bsd@todoo.biz>
Cc:        Liste FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Space needed on device

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 01:59:35PM +0100, bsd wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After an update I have little space left on the / device
>

> Filesystem     Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ar0s1a    3.8G    3.1G    414M    88%    /
> devfs          1.0K    1.0K      0B   100%    /dev
> /dev/ar0s1d     60G    2.2G     53G     4%    /home
>

> I wanted to know if I can safely delete /usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup

Probably but it might not help much.

The big problem is that it looks like you have /var and /uar
in root.    Those can grow unexpectedly - especially /var when logs
and mail grow.   /usr can grow when you install ports.
So, your best bet might be to move /var  or  /var/mail, /var/spool
and /var/log  to /home and make symlinks.   You could also put /usr/src
and /usr/ports in /home and make symlinks.   That would give you lots
of room and eliminate most unexpected growth.   Really, it is also a
good idea to have /tmp in its own partition as well for the same
protection of unexpected growth issue.

If you don't want to deal with moving thing and making symlinks
(I do that a lot and it is easy) you could back everything up and
then repartition and make file systems for /usr. /var and /tmp.

////jerry