Date:      Tue, 27 May 2003 16:02:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
To:        Nan Wang <nanericwang@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: The clock is too fast in FreeBSD!

Eric,
First, you didn't mention how fast the clock was under FreeBSD. If you
are talking about minutes/seconds, then you can use ntpd to keep the
clock in line. If you have permanent network access, then you can
actually keep your clock to within a few milliseconds of the NIST/Navy
"official" time.

For a server, you really should be running a time synchronization service
anyway, negating any clock "problems" in the local OS. Although most
useful for multiple servers, even a stand-alone server can benefit from
being in agreement with a "standard" clock. As a result, Windows2k/XP,
Linux, and FreeBSD all support time synchronization out of the box. My
local network has two tier 2 time server (which attach to a navy time
server), both of which can be used by rdate on terminals to get the
correct time.

I have used this setup for years, and the clocks are always
the most accurate in the house - such that I use them to set the VCR
clock, my own wristwatch, and any other miscellanous non-network attached,
clock.

However, even with all of that, I haven't noticed a serious problem on any
of my FreeBSD systems wrt the clock. An uncorrected clock in FreeBSD seems
to lose/gain about 0.5 second per day on standard commodity hardware.

Second, FreeBSD 5.0/5.1-BETA are not production ready. I am still using
the 4.x-REL series, as they are much more stable. In fact, I will probably
wait until 5.2-REL before upgrading my primary app server (it's a dual
proc, and can benefit from the new multi-processor support). There may
very well be bugs in these newer versions that could be causing your clock
problem. I would suggest you try 4.8-REL if you are evaluating FreeBSD
for a server environment.

If you feel you may have found a problem with FreeBSD 5.1 BETA, please
post in the freebsd-hardware list. If the clock is screwed up in the
latest versions, I'm sure they would love to know about it now, rather
than later.