Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2013 22:33:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        sib@tormail.org
Cc:        mm@FreeBSD.org, multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: VLC/X264 and GCC

In article <1TsgcQ-000DYG-U0@internal.tormail.org> you write:
>Hello.
Hi!

>While installing VLC on a 9.1 i386 system, I noticed when it was building
>X264 that it was calling GCC.. so I removed USE_GCC=any from that Makefile
>and it built fine with clang. Has there been some trouble with it? Can we
>remove that line from the port?

 The commitlog for the x264 port says:

r305618 | linimon | 2012-10-10 00:43:05 +0200 (Wed, 10 Oct 2012) | 11 lines

Attempt to force this port to build only with gcc.  It is known to be
broken on clang.

However, setting USE_GCC=any appears to be insufficient: the too-clever
configure glop sees that clang is installed and attempts to use it
regardless.

This commit is thus a temporary measure.

Hat:            portmgr

 I'll Cc the x264 port maintainer, maybe he knows more.

>I am currently also trying to figure out why VLC itself won't build with
>clang, but pulls in lang/gcc for some CPU features (as I saw in the
>makefile) .. hopefully that can be fixed. Compiling gcc is not a fast
>task.

 There was an issue with base gcc and vlc on i386 so I set USE_GCC=4.6+
- but you are right if clang is already built using it would be
preferred, and I just posted a call for testing for a patch that
defaults to using clang on 9.1+ also on amd64:

	http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20130119210903.GA76282

(you can use `Save link as' on the `Raw E-Mail' link at the top of
the message to download the patch, patch(1) should ignore the rest
of the message before the actual patch.)

 Thanx,
	Juergen