Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 14:43:24 +0100 (WEST)
From:      Jose Gabriel Marcelino <gabriel@maquina.com>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@borg-cube.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hardware <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: UDMA ICRC errors on FIC SD11 Athlon board and U66 HD -- huh?!

Hi,

> Motherboard: FIC SD-11 board rev. 1.8, with the latest BIOS.
> 	(AMD-751 north bridge, VIA 82C686 south bridge)
> Hard Disk: Western Digital Caviar WD102AA 10.2 GB Ultra66
> 	(single drive only, no slave devices or CD-ROM's etc.)
>
> The system boots normally, but after some amount of disk access has
> happened (this usually happens when the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/* scripts
> run) the system switches into PIO mode due to errors.
>
> ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 27984 retrying
> ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 27984 retrying
> ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 27984 retrying
> ad0: UDMA ICRC WRITE ERROR blk# 27984ata0-master: WARNING: WAIT_READY
> active=ATA_ACTIVE_ATA
>  falling back to PIO mode
>
> The system works fine after it switches to PIO mode, and there appear to
> be no errors in the filesystem (i've tried running fsck a number of

This is a FAQ now. The problem you're experiencing is the FreeBSD
way of telling you that you have two pieces of crap in your machine, one
is the Western Digital disk (there's really no substitute for IBM to go
UDMA/66) and the other is the FIC SD11 (Fiddle wIth Constantly as someone
said before) motherboard.

This is really an hardware problem, it just gets more loudly noticed under
FreeBSD (Windows hides this problems from the users).

I have good results now with an Asus K7M board and IBM disks, having
changed from troubles of the FIC board you have, just changing the board
made the problems go away... Until now from what I see you can never go
wrong with Asus :-) (as long as it hasn't got chips from SiS :-))

To solve you immediate problems, I suggest you add:

/sbin/sysctl -w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio

to the top of your /etc/rc.conf file to use the PIO mode from the start
and avoid the messages above (of course this way you're not using UDMA so
disk access isn't optimal...)

--
Gabriel