Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 2001 00:47:59 -0800
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brandon DeYoung <brandon@schoolpeople.net>, FreeBSDHW <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hard Drive cloning

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 06:49:20PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 January 2001 at  1:46:47 -0800, Brandon DeYoung wrote:
> >     Hi all,
> >     Does anyone know of a good utility for cloning BSD harddrives?
> > I've been using Norton Ghost on windows and Linux boxes...but it
> > doesn't seem to deal with UFS very well.
>
> dd?

dd is good if you are only going to do this once or twice but dd can take a
long time. On a dual PIII 800mhz with 2 gig of ram with LVD SCSI disks both
disks were 18 gig 10,000 RMP IBMs it took me 90 to 120 minutes to dd one
disk to another. If you are going to be doing this on a regular basis look
into dump and restore.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.2
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org