Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:56:58 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, jmd17@columbia.edu
Subject:   Re: XFree86 fonts

10/21/2002 5:39:07 PM, "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Can I install both Type1 and TrueType fonts?

Yes.

Can I install multiple
>packages for each (Type1 and TrueType)?

What does "multiple packages" mean?  You can install as many fonts as
you like.  If you have a Win machine handy, copy all the *.ttf and *.TTF
files in the Fonts directory onto a FAT partition or a floppy and from
there to the TrueType directory as described in the Handbook.  (Tip:
delete those that have non-alphanumeric characters in the file name
before doing the ttmkfdir command as described below.)

>I have XFree86 4.2.1 from new install of FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE.
When
>describing installing TrueType fonts, the handbook is confusing, it
>says:
>
>XFree86 4.X has built in support for rendering TrueType fonts. There
are two
>different modules that can enable this functionality. The freetype
module is
>used in this example because it is more consistent with the other font
>rendering back-ends. To enable the freetype module just add the
following
>line to the "Module" section of the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
>
>    Load  "freetype"
>
>*** is that all for XFree86 4.x?

No.

The handbook then goes on to add:

[snip]
>*** therein lies my question: do these folowing paragraphs (which I
>*** have included below) apply to 3.3.x or to BOTH 3.3.x *and* 4.x?

Dunno about 3.3.x, but yes, this works for 4.x.

>Now make a directory for the TrueType fonts (for example,
>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType) and copy all of the TrueType fonts
into
>this directory. Keep in mind that TrueType fonts cannot be directly
taken
>from a Macintosh; they must be in Unix/DOS/Windows format for use
by
>XFree86. Once the files have been copied into this directory, use
ttmkfdir
>to create a fonts.dir file, so that the X font renderer knows that these
new
>files have been installed. ttmkfdir is available from the FreeBSD Ports
>Collection as x11-fonts/ttmkfdir.
>
>    # cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
>    # ttmkfdir > fonts.dir
>
>Now add the TrueType directory to the font path. This is just the same
as
>described above for Type1 fonts, that is, use
>
>    % xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
>    % xset fp rehash
>
>or add a FontPath line to the XF86Config file.

Do the "xset" commands to get TrueType support up and running in your
current session.  Add the FontPath line (you'll see a bunch of them in
your XF86Config file - just add one that points to your TrueType
directory) to take care of future sessions.

Jud