Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2019 09:06:11 +0100
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bhyve and vfs.zfs.arc_max, and zfs tuning for a hypervisor

Hi!

> Am 19.03.2019 um 03:46 schrieb Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>:
> 1. Does ARC actually cache zfs volumes (not files/datasets)?

Yes it does.

> 2. If ARC does cache volumes, does this cache make sense on a =
hypervisor,
> because guest OSes will probably have their own disk cache anyway.

IMHO not much, because the guest OS is relying on the fact that when
it writes it=E2=80=99s own cached data out to =E2=80=9Edisk=E2=80=9C, it =
will be committed to
stable storage.

> 3. Would it make sense to limit vfs.zfs.arc_max to 1/8 or even less of
> total RAM, so that most RAM is available to guest machines?

Yes if you build your own solution on plain FreeBSD. No if you are =
running
FreeNAS which already tries to autotune the ARC size according to the
memory committed to VMs.

> 4. What other zfs tuning measures can you suggest for a bhyve
> hypervisor?

e.g.
	zfs set sync=3Dalways zfs/vm

if zfs/vm is the dataset under which you create the ZVOLs for your =
emulated
disks.

I=E2=80=99m using this for all my VM =E2=80=9Edisks=E2=80=9C and have =
added a 16 GB SLOG device
to my spinning disk pool - seems to work great. This is on a home =
system.

Our new data centre systems feature all NVME SSDs and no spinning rust.
So no need for a separate SLOG.

HTH,
Patrick
--=20
punkt.de GmbH			Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Kaiserallee 13a			Tel.: 0721 9109-0 Fax: -100
76133 Karlsruhe			info@punkt.de	http://punkt.de
AG Mannheim 108285		Gf: Juergen Egeling