Date:      Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:53:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip_input - chksum - why is it done so early in ip_input?

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Andre Oppermann wrote:

> > Besides that i'd like to add that FreeBSD has the fastest forwarding engine
> > i've seen on any free OS. It's in my opinion a very suitable OS for
> > routing/forwarding.
>
> We are working on it to make it even faster.  If you are using 5.2 or
> -current you get the first step of it by enabling
> net.inet.ip.fastfowarding.  This is a newly written fast path for packet
> forwarding. (Do not do this on 4.9 because that is the old ip_flow
> code).

You can also enable debug.mpsafenet, which disables holding the Giant lock
over the forwarding path for supported ethernet drivers.  Unfortunately,
this option can't be used with KAME IPSEC or IPv6 yet, but can be used
with FAST_IPSEC.

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research