Date:      Mon, 26 Apr 1999 10:29:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <igor@physics.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   wu-ftpd: is there a vulnerability ? (was: Re: limit ftp users to their homedir)

Time to time somebody mentions that the current version of the wu-ftpd
is vulnerable (e.g. see below).

Unless I missed something, there was no postings about that on
this (freebsd-security) mailing list about that.

Also, as it was explained earlier (sorry, I don't remember who it was,
probably Satoshi Asami ?) wu-ftpd on FreeBSD was not vulnerable
to the most recent (realpath function) vulnerability due to
specifics of FreeBSD's implementation of the realpath function.

So, I hope that either Warner Losh, or Satoshi Asami, or Andrey Chernov
can confirm the current state of the wu-ftpd port.

Also, it would be really helpful (I asked this earlier but it was not noticed)
to know what was the latest vulnerable version of wu-ftpd on FreeBSD ?

Regards,

Igor

----- Forwarded message from Fernando Schapachnik -----

I use wu-ftpd for this and works nice. I also has some other features.

There is and exploit for the current version -I think it keeps on being
the current- so you can get wu-ftpd-VR from another vendor. Sorry I don't
recall the URL, but you can find it easily on the Web.

<..>

----- End of forwarded message from Fernando Schapachnik -----