Date:      Fri, 19 Oct 2001 16:55:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        lahaye@users.sourceforge.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NTSC-antenna + PAL-TVcard : via VCR ?

On Friday, 19 October 2001 at 12:28:53 +0900, Rob Lahaye wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am in Korea (NTSC system) with my European TVcard (PAL).
> (It's a Hauppauge WinTV/PCI-FM).
>
> How can I get this working? Some people vaguely suggested something like:
>
> Antenna--> VCR-input / VCR-output --> TVcard-Video-input.
>
> I don't have a VCR yet, so before I go and buy one, I would like an
> expert approval of this set up.

This only stands a hope of working if you get a VCR which converts
from NTSC to PAL.  That kind of VCR is very common here in Australia,
and I suspect that many of them are made in Korea, but most such VCRs
fake it by creating something like PAL but at 30 frames per second
instead of 25.  It's barely possible that your Hauppage card will
handle that, but you certainly shouldn't count on it.  If you want a
VCR anyway, try it out.  Otherwise you're probably better off buying a
new video card.

Greg