Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 22:49:52 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO MORE '-BETA'

At 2:31 PM -0800 3/16/01, John Baldwin wrote:
>On 16-Mar-01 Chris Faulhaber wrote:
>  > On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 01:59:36PM -0800, John Baldwin wrote:
>  >> Is this in the FAQ yet?
>  >>

>>  http://www.FreeBSD.org/FAQ/admin.html#RELEASE-CANDIDATE
>
>Woo, cool.  Then it seems people aren't using the resources
>normally available to them either in the form of mailing lists
>or the FAQ.  I'm not sure we need to sacrifice our release
>engineering process for the sake of people doing cvsup upgrades
>that can't be bothered to either read the mailing lists or look
>in the FAQ. :(

Why don't we call it 4.3-crash-and-burn, but "just document it
in the FAQ"?  Why *must* we persist in using a word that has a
very definite (and unpalatable) meaning in most computer contexts?

In what way are we "sacrificing" the release engineering process?
Is Jordan going to get lost unless he sees the word 'beta' when
he works on testing?  I understand the advantage of having SOME
different name for this period, but why must it be 'beta' and no
other combination of letters?

I do not see how the freebsd release process could be corrupted
by using some other term instead of 'beta'.  There is no technical
advantage to using that particular combination of letters.  If it
confuses some of our users, and holds no specific benefit to any
other of our users, then why not change it?