Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 14:54:22 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Need help unbreaking one port

Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 01:56:53PM +0300, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have imported Groff 1.17 yesterday, and I need to reflect directory
> > > layout changes in the textproc/gxditview port.
> > >
> > > The specifics of this port is that its distribution files live in
> > > /usr/src/contrib/groff, and the location is different between -STABLE
> > > and -CURRENT, being .../xditview for -STABLE and .../src/xditview for
> > > -CURRENT.
> > >
> > > The PORTVERSION should ideally also be differently for -STABLE and
> > > -CURRENT, 1.16.1 vs. 1.17.
> > >
> > > I searched through the Porter's Handbook, but found no info that would
> > > handle my case.
> > >
> > > Should I bump the __FreeBSD_version and use the updated OSVERSION?
> > > Also, what FreeBSD branches the Ports are supposed to be built for?
> > > I mean, what should I do with port when I import Groff 1.17 into
> > > 4.3-STABLE?  Should I provide OSVERSION tests so that the port
> > > builds on older versions, or?
> >
> > Keep it simple:
> >
> > .if exists (/usr/src/contrib/groff/src/xditview/xditview.c)
> > # -CURRENT
> > .else
> > # -STABLE
> > .endif
> >
> I thought of that in the first place, but then, how should I
> set the PORTVERSION?

.if exists (/usr/src/contrib/groff/src/xditview/xditview.c)
PORTVERSION=    1.17
[blabla]
.else
PORTVERSION=    1.16.1
[blabla]
.endif

> And I really want to know the answer on my second question.
> What FreeBSD versions the current port is supposed to be built
> on?  What is the requirement?

It should be buildable on all systems in the 4.x range and reasonably recent
-current. Support for 3.x and 2.x.x is optional and up to you. It is why
OSVERSION test is not very good method for your sutuation, as you would have
to cover 3 cases (-current before update, -current after update and -stable),
while after groff MFC the number of possible combinations increases to 4
(-stable after update adds up).

-Maxim