Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 11:06:12 -0400
From:      David Gurvich <david.gurvich@verizon.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   APIC, ACPI nforce

I've been having some trouble with nforce motherboard and
FreeBSD-5.2.1-CURRENT.  The only combinations that I have found
to work consistently are disabling ACPI  with hw.acpi.0.disabled="1" and
either no PM or using apm, or enabling ACPI and APIC disabled with
hw.apic.0.disabled="1".  This solution would not work for SMP kernel.
    I'm not sure of the exact problem but there seems to be an irq
sharing issue when both ACPI and APIC are enabled.  These coexisted with
11/2003 5.1 but as of 5.2.1 there have been problems for me.  Onbord
Lan, USB, and either ACPI or APIC cannot coexist.  Boot with ACPI&APIC,
start if_nv (nvnet) using dhclient,  USB-OHCI mouse.
Use the onboard lan, i.e. open web-browser.  USB no longer responds, and
onboard lan timeout.  No way to restart either without reboot.  Both work
perfectly if either ACPI, or APIC is not started.  The mouse and lan are
both
on pci0 at irq 10.