Date:      Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:56:17 -0500
From:      Kris Kerwin <snoopy248th@ameritech.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie Right of Passage -- Kernel Compilation Problems :-)

Hello all,

This might be more of a question for the freebsd-questions mailing list, but,
knowing my luck, I probably just made a newbie mistake.  :-)

While compiling my kernel (using the 5.1-RELEASE source), I ran into an error
while trying to compile /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/npx.c.  I did my homework, and
learned that NPX is one of those device drivers that you really can't live
without (it takes care of Floating Point Math), so, I can't just comment that
line out of my kernel config.

The error?  I cut the output of 'make buildkernel KERNCONF=MYKERNEL':

	cc1: warnings being treated as errors
	/usr/target/src/sys/i386/isa/npx.c:1075: warning: `npx_driver' defined but
not used
	/usr/target/src/sys/i386/isa/npx.c:1081: warning: `npx_devclass' defined but
not used

I resynced my source tree, and tried to recompile;  no joy, same errors.

I tried running with the -k argument to ignore errors, and it told me at the
end of the compile that making 'all' failed.

I tried the traditional '/usr/sbin/config' 'make depend' 'make' 'make
install', still got teh same errors.

I tried looking at the source for npx.c itself, and couldn't make heads or
tales of it.  :-) ... I'm more of an end-user than a developer, the only
tutorial I've done is 'Hello World!'  I did 'grep -n' the file and searched
for those two functions, and did find them, but wasn't sure if I should risk
commenting them out.  My luck, my mistake was made long before it got to the
source code.

As of yet, I havn't been able to find an FAQ with an answer to this one, and
no amount of googling the rest of the internet or freebsd.org has been able
to help me either.

Any ideas?  Did I just make another goof?  Thanks for all of your help.

Kris Kerwin