Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 22:39:58 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@ontario.mooseriver.com>
To:        thcg <thcg@vision.net.pk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiling lite src code

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 10:17:36AM +0500, thcg wrote:
> I got a CD with its book of BSDLite from a flea market. But i dont know how
> to compile it all. I have plenty of penguin experience (and partitions) but
> this one requires a different strategy. The Makefiles are either empty in
> the provided source code or does nothing real. The entire directory tree of
> BSDLite is there but no files except /etc and usr/src has all the src code.
> Which compiler should I use? IT asks for some libraries.. meaning it needs
> command line options for gcc or I have to download libraries??gimme a crash
> course on that. The version is: "4.4BSD-Lite" 1994.

Forget it. 4.4BSD-Lite is the end result of the lawsuit between AT&T and UC
Berkeley. The resolution of the lawsuit was that US Berkeley and those
parties using 4.3BSD-Net2 would remove 7 selected files from the kernel.
This release is know as 4.4BSD-Lite. It does not run, was never meant to
run, it was meant to resolve a lawsuit. Use FreeBSD 3.2. We have moved quite
a distance from 4.4BSD-Lite. Consider 4.4BSD-Lite as an interesting
historical artifact.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a |    FreeBSD 3.2
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | UNIX for the masses