Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 12:51:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel config utility

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> Icons are probably not the right user interface.  I'd suggest
> something like Windows's ``hardware manager'' (in the System control
> panel).

Some people were afraid that it would end up like the Windows
registry.  Well, even if it did, I'd argue that it still wouldn't be too
bad.  The Windows registry has so many classes and entries, and I think
the kernel config would be smaller with not as many classes.  You'd have
the device class, and options class.  Then, you'd break devices down into
scsi, ide, etc.  Or, we could break them down into network, disk
controllers, sound, that way.

- Donn