Date:      Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:43:11 +0100
From:      Charlie Conklin <cc@tuna.dolphinet.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Perl problem

Has anyone noticed any problems with the perl formating capability
under FreeBSD?

This bit of perl (swrite is taken directly from the perlform manpage),
core dumps! It works just fine with the FreeBSD ports collection
perl5.001, but quite badly for the ports collection perl5.002!

I tried upgrading from 2.05 to 2.1.0, but alas it is no better.

It is quite sensitive as well to various things. If I delete one
of the "<" delimiters on the left most side, it works.

- Charlie Conklin

use Carp;

sub swrite {
    croak "usage: swrite PICTURE ARGS" unless @_;
    my $format = shift;
    $^A = "";
    formline($format, @_);
    return $^A;
}

$string = swrite($format, "hello", "world");
print $string;