Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2003 17:28:37 +0100
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>
To:        Vladik Kozin <epbox@yandex.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Flash Memory Drives support under FreeBSD

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 07:48:36PM +0400, Vladik Kozin wrote:
> 	Are such devices as for instance, IBM MagicKey, PQI Intelligent Stick,
> USBdrive, ThumbDrive and other USB Flash Memory Drives, supported by
> FreeBSD.  I know most of them are supported by Linux, so one doesn't have
> to install any drivers before use.
> 	I've checked Hardware Notes for both 4.8 and 5.0 Releases - nothing
> approprate :(

Hi Vladik,

funnily enough, this has just been discussed over on the -stable list.  The
consensus seems to be that most USB mass storage devices will just work --
especially those that don't need any special drivers on Windows or (better
yet) Linux.  This has certainly been my experience with various memory card
readers and 'pen drives'.

Some devices might need a 'quirk' entry adding to the kernel to cope with
their particular weirdness.  These are pretty easy to add if you don't mind
rebuilding your kernel.

I fully agree that the existing documentation isn't as helpful as it could
be.  I was going to put together some changes to make it clearer what is
actually supported, which you have now reminded me about :-)

Cheers,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon