Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 1996 23:49:36 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/obj size

In message
<Pine.BSF.3.94.961102230638.10909A-100000@vinyl.quickweb.com> Mark
Mayo writes:
: school marks prove it ;-)) and I forget the size of the /usr/obj
: directory. I'm hoping it is under 100MB so I can just mount up a zip drive
: (I'll have to pull it off my other PC) and build on that..

/usr/obj is 86M long for me, I don't know if that has a full build or
not.  Your ZIP drive will be **SLOW** and you will get frustrated by
long make world times :-(.

: Also, how much disk space overhead will pulling in the latest branch
: incur?

A full source tree runs about 138M or so.

: Gee, having no income (i.e. being a Univ. student) really sucks.... just 1
: more gig is all I ask!!  :-)

I'm very happy with my JAZ drive, but it is a little on the slow
side.  About 70% as fast as my Quantum Prodrive 1225, near as I can
tell.  When I got mine, the ZIP drives were $199 and the JAZ drives
had just dropped to $399 internal so I figured 10x the storage for
2x the price was hard to say no to.

Warner