Date:      Sun, 09 May 1999 21:00:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nicole Harrington <nicole@nmhtech.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Jordan K.Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Dru <genisis@istar.ca>
Subject:   Re: desktop, was linus on BSD

 <SNIP>
>=20
> I think one of the big differentiators between "desktop" users of=20
> FreeBSD and Linux is that many FreeBSD users never wanted a damned PC=20
> in the first place.  FreeBSD makes a pretty crufty PC, but a fine UNIX=
=20
> workstation.  For those looking for a workstation, installing XFree86
> and {window manager of choice, WindowMaker for me} makes workstation
> enough, especially so now that one or two competent word processors=20
> and at least one usable spreadsheet are available for the typical
> "productivity" applications.
>=20

 Personally IMNSHO,=20
 If FreeBSD wants to go after the desktop market I would like to see it spl=
it
into to two different releases. Desktop and server. Why?
  Everytime I tell people about FreeBSD they say "yea but Linux has more
drivers for (this cool thing that no one else ever used or came out yesterd=
ay)
and FreeBSD doesn't.
 Thus, FreeBSD could use the same "here is a driver I wrote while wacked on
jolt one night for that 1970 Hardrive you can't live without" that Linux ha=
without detracting from the "We test everything before we commit or release=
 any
code into the release branch.
 Also, the GUI features could be enhanced without placing too much code blo=
at
into the server code. Plus each could be genericly tuned/optimised to satis=
fy
each requirment easier/better.

 I know fractioning things is often bad, but I truly belive this could help
more than it would hurt.

  Nicole

> --=20
>        "Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?"
>=20
> Wes Peters                                                 Softweyr LLC
> http://www.softweyr.com/~softweyr                      wes@softweyr.com
>=20
>=20

                          | o_o  |__  ) )          =20