Date:      Sun, 25 Apr 2010 12:47:00 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        Jeff Roberson <jroberson@jroberson.net>
Cc:        Alex Keda <admin@lissyara.su>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: SUJ Going in to head today

On Apr 24, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Jeff Roberson wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Apr 2010, Alex Keda wrote:
>=20
>> try in single user mode:
>>=20
>> tunefs -j enable /
>> tunefs: Insuffient free space for the journal
>> tunefs: soft updates journaling can not be enabled
>>=20
>> tunefs -j enable /dev/ad0s2a
>> tunefs: Insuffient free space for the journal
>> tunefs: soft updates journaling can not be enabled
>> tunefs: /dev/ad0s2a: failed to write superblock
>=20
> There is a bug that prevents enabling journaling on a mounted =
filesystem. So for now you can't enable it on /.  I see that you have a =
large / volume but in general I would also suggest people not enable suj =
on / anyway as it's typically not very large.  I only run it on my /usr =
and /home filesystems.
>=20
> I will send a mail out when I figure out why tunefs can't enable suj =
on / while it is mounted read-only.
>=20

This would preclude enabling journaling on / on an existing system, but =
I would think that you could enable it on / on a system that is being =
installed, since (at least in theory) the target / filesystem won't be =
the actual root of the system, and therefore can be unmounted at will.

Scott