Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 15:24:37 +0100
From:      Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net>
To:        Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RFC: Change to "why does my mail to FreeBSD.org bounce" FAQ

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 12:08:38PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:43:06 +0100
> Ceri Davies <setantae@submonkey.net> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 11:47:23AM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:

> > > ``Mail sent from your personal computer or networked computer will
> > > not be processed unless you have a legal (registered) domain name.
> > >  Just making up one for your internal network does not qualify as
> > >  a legal(registered) domain name.  For email to be accepted at
> > >  hub.FreeBSD.org you will be required to use the email address
> > >  from your ISP or another email address from a qualified domain.
> > >  In plain english, if you cannot accept mail to your computer with
> > >  (whoever@example.com) then your email may most likly bounce as a
> > >  result.''
> >
> > I knew it wasn't clear!  The problem isn't to do with the email
> > address - it's purely the hostname given in the HELO line :
> >
> > {setantae@rhadamanth}-{~} $ telnet hub.freebsd.org smtp
> > Trying 216.136.204.18...
> > Connected to hub.freebsd.org.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220 hub.freebsd.org ESMTP Postfix (Postfix Rules!)
> > helo i.dont.resolve
> > 250 hub.freebsd.org
> > mail from: <setantae@submonkey.net>
> > 250 Ok
> > rcpt to: <test@FreeBSD.org>
> > 450 <i.dont.resolve>: Helo command rejected: Host not found
> > quit
> > 221 Bye
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
>
> Hostname, but if the email address (root@localhost) or hostname -s
> boared.com.
>
> board.com# mail -s 'blah' someone@FreeBSD.org < emailfilehere
>
> but board.com isn't a legal domain, then the email wouldn't be from
> a legal domain...  I feel that my example is relevant seeing as how
> your correct, email address don't matter one bit, its host name.  Why
> not give people an example that they would understand ;)
>
> Now, if i'm still missing something, please let me know and i'll get
> right out of this arguement.  But I feel that, instead of twirling
> people around in circles wondering what HELO is, what HELO has to do
> with their email and hostname and on and on, just tell them:
>
> ``If your domain name isn't real, don't bother, use the email address
> from a real domain name.''  Am I wrong?  If so, please say something,
> as you seem to know more about DNS than I, even though the DNS and
> BIND book is at my house, I havn't read it yet...

Umm, you are. Kind of.  It's not related to the email address. Not really.

My email address gets rewritten by my MTA to be setantae@submonkey.net since
setantae@rhadamanth.private.submonkey.net isn't deliverable outside of this
room (and setantae@pc4-card4-0-cust162.cdf.cable.ntl.com is a bit hard to
remember and wouldn't be deliverable either :).

However, I was in a situation where I couldn't send mail directly to
hub.FreeBSD.org because my MTA kept announcing itself with
"HELO rhadamanth.private.submonkey.net", which doesn't resolve as far as
the internet is concerned.  I had to configure my MTA to do
"HELO rhadamanth.submonkey.net" instead before my mail would be accepted.

This is the kind of thing I'm talking about getting added, and it's not
really anything to do with my email address.

Now it's a slightly fine grained point, maybe, but there's certainly a
difference.  It may be slightly easier to just say something like :

"As required by RFC 2822, your announced hostname must resolve."

I'm just not sure.

Ceri

--
get the cool shoe shine