Date:      Wed, 07 Feb 2001 12:07:46 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Package integrity check?

Wes Peters wrote:

> Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> >
> > Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > Are you going to reply to my question why general utility for signing
> > gzip-compressed files has been added into pkg_install module? IMHO it's better to
> > add it in its own directory under usr.bin, because it's not pkg_install specific at
> > all.
>
> If you'd just read the code you'd find that your assertion isn't true.  I'm
> really astonished at the amount of rhetoric being flung about by this commit
> from people who obviously haven't bothered to look at the code.  Please feel
> free to return with sensible comments when you have actually read the code.

It's wrong assertion. I did read the code but was unable to find any traces indicating
that pkg_sign is using any pkg_install infrastructure. Moreover, even pkg_sign manpage
indicates that it's just a general utility to sign gzip-compressed archives, so my
question is a pretty valid. You are partially answered it in your another e-mail on the
topic (it's where it located in OpenBSD), but this is not a very strong point, as poor
architectural choices of one project should not be automatically inherited by another
just because 'it's how they did it'.

-Maxim