Date:      Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:32:18 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        Jonathan Dama <jd@ugcs.caltech.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FREEBSD_4_EOL tag, last known index file?

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007, Jonathan Dama wrote:

>> From Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>, Mon, Jul 16, 2007 at 12:59:50AM +0200:
>> On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 03:05:30PM -0700, Jon Dama wrote:
>>> Is there a port index file that corresponds to the FREEBSD_4_EOL tag?
>>> I am unable to rebuild the index from the tagged checkout.
>>
>> The official INDEX file is no longer available nor supported.  You
>> should be able to build it by "cd /usr/ports; make index'.  If that

> I am aware of that.  The trouble of course is that for whatever reason
> the make index target appears to fail--although I am not entirely
> convinced that this isn't a local problem.  Still I would have expected
> that the tag point to at least be useable, meaning that make index would
> work.

FWIW, I had the same issue the other day on two machines, so I'm guessing
it's not a local issue.  "make index" was barfing all over itself.

I had to grab an INDEX from another 4.x host (we have a ton of them, as do
many, many other people out there).

If you can't figure something out or find it mirrored in some dark corner,
let me know and I'll zip up a copy for you.

> Anyways I'm only trying to act within the constraints that I've been given.
> My mandate does not include upgrading to RELENG_6 so your advice is not
> immediately useful.

:)

The "upgrade right now! 4.x is unsupported!" is kind of like walking down
the street telling people that the sky is blue...

Some folks have to stick with 4.x for the time being, it's as simple as
that.

Charles