Date:      Sat, 06 May 2000 20:23:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@ragnet.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, (Nate Williams) <nate@yogotech.com>
Subject:   Re: [OT] Finding people with GSM phones (was Re: GPS heads up )

On 06-May-00 Mike Smith wrote:
>> > With one tower, you're down to describing an arc along which
>> > the phone is probably located; still pretty good when it comes to finding
>> > someone.
>>
>> He seemed to imply that they could get it within 25m, even with one
>> phone.  Like I said, I don't understand how, but I didn't question his
>> ability.  Plus, he knows alot more about the stuff than I do.

http://www.cursor-system.com/

Cambridge positioning Systems have developed some technology to do this for GSM.

Positioning isn't built into the GSM system - yes they can tell what sector of a
base station a mobile is in but much more than that is difficult. The other
cells a mobile is aware of aren't aware of the mobile.

Duncan

---