Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 08:12:47 +1000
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        AlanE <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        chet@po.cwru.edu, kris@obsecurity.org, roam@ringlet.net, sroberts@dsl.pipex.com, m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG, portmgr@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade of bash-2.05b_1 failing now for second day

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:35:38AM -0400, AlanE wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:18:59AM -0400, Chet Ramey wrote:
> >> Just add a more appropriate MASTER_SITE..we can't do much about broken
> >> FTP sites.
> >
> >Excuse me?  How exactly does ftp.cwru.edu's policy of asking for ident
> >information make it a `broken FTP site'?  The ftp server is waiting for
> >a response to its ident request, and fetch times out.
>
> And if I don't run an ident server, or I run one that returns ERROR
> no matter what, or I don't have that port open at all? Why should I have
> to change my firewall and my system daemons in order to fetch some
> source code?

I've told you in a previous thread Alan, if *your* host doesn't do
the right thing (i.e. TCP packets send to a port without a service
bound to it should be RSTed instead of dropped), don't blame the
other host for it.

ftp.cwru.edu has/had the policy "we do idents of ftp-sessions". If
you don't like the policy, don't go there and get them from somewhere
else. Yes, the closed firewall policy on FreeBSD is defaulted to
drop the packets instead of RSTing them, you have the power to
submit a PR and if there are enough good arguments, people will
listen and change it.

I'll repeat it once again:
	Your host is wrong here, ftp.cwru.edu is function properly.

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org    |    Weblog: http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/weblog.php