Date:      Wed, 02 Dec 1998 23:19:19 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Cc:        bford@uop.cs.uop.edu, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: ffs_blkfree: bad size

> Although I normally appreciate your humor, this bug is not
> funny.  Version 1.74 of vfs_cluster.c does not fix the problem,
> and a person can totally destroy their filesystems.

It wasn't an attempt at humor - I thought he still had an older kernel
too and thought that David's attempted fix (I say "attempted" since it
is clearly still nuking you) would set him right.

> sysctl -w vfs.ffs.doreallocblks=0
>
> Is the correct response.

Why isn't this currently the default if it's as pathological as you
say?  Has anyone actually asked David this question?  It would be
only courteous given that he's the author of this bug/feature.

- Jordan