Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 23:53:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Roy <eollaroy@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shell change

Reboot and use -s at the boot prompt to go into single user
mode.  But first find out where tcsh is.  Probably /usr/local/bin,
if you installed tcsh from the ports collection.
You could then use /sbin/mount -u -a to mount all the disks.
You can then run vipw (/usr/sbin/vipw) to edit the password
file.  You probably have the path to tcsh wrong there.
Also edit /etc/shells and make sure that the shell and its
correct path are listed there.

While you're at it, you might use the passwd command to give
toor (the alternative root account) a password with
passwd toor
so you have an alternative root account.  Edit /etc/groups
and put toor in the wheel group.  This is a comma-delimited
list and should have no spaces.
You can then use
su toor
if root doesn't work.