Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 22:16:01 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com (Amancio Hasty Jr.)
Cc:        ambrisko@tcs.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

>  > Amancio Hasty Jr. writes:
>  > | Now, I am going to sit on my corner to see what are the arguments for
>  > | not writing a systall which can run with X .... Now I am curious 8)
>  >
>  > I'd like to be able to install my gateway FreeBSD box through the serial
>  > console tied to my main FreeBSD box.
>  >
>  > Doug A.
>
> Yeap, I would like to use one of my shoe strings to tied my boxes over here
> to do net install 8)
>
> It seems to me like if you got the two boxes close enough that you ought to
> be able to clone the disk on one box and then move the disk to your other
> box. I would do that rather than bothering with installing over a serial
> port .

That's not always feasible or possible (different types of disks or
controllers, for example).  I hate having to take apart a machine to drop a
graphics card into it just so I can install...

(ok ok ok I admit it, all of my boxes have graphics cards right now, but the
ultimate goal is to run mostly serial consoles, because going around the
back of the equipment racks and plugging and unplugging monitor and keyboard
extenders to gain console access to a box is silly).

It's bad enough that sysinstall seems to be linked to syscons ...

... Joe