Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 15:07:58 +1030
From:      Richard Sharpe <sharpe@ns.aus.com>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        rsharpe@ns.aus.com, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding si_fd to struct __siginfo ...

Mike Barcroft wrote:

>Richard Sharpe <sharpe@ns.aus.com> writes:
>
>>>There was already a big mess of a discussion about how this would
>>>be much better done via kqueue than with realtime signals.
>>>
>>>I guess if you can get a working implementation that is compatible
>>>with the existing interfaces it would work, however it's a _much_
>>>better idea to use kqueue to deliver this sort of notification.

Well, it turns out that there are two problems with what I suggested: 1,
signals are lossy, in that if multiple signals occur, only one might be
delivered; and 2, there is no place to store any signal-related
information in the kernel, in any case.

So, it seems like kqueue is really the only game in town, but I will
need an appropriate filter, and it would be nice if I could get some
sort of async notification that there were events ready to be processed,
as I really don't want to rewrite Samba completely, just to support
kqueue ...

Hmmm, perhaps the approach should be to signal that leases/oplocks have
been broken, but provide the details via kqueue.

--
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe@ns.aus.com, LPIC-1
www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba