Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 10:45:50 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Xavier O'Neill" <xoneill@hotmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Signal 11 during setup

[moved to -questions; the lack of response on -hackers is understandable]

On Saturday, 25 December 1999 at  2:40:25 -0800, Xavier O'Neill wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      I presently have FreeBSD 2.2.8 on my system.  I downloaded FreeBSD 3.4
> Release and made two floppy images on newly formated floppies (did it
> twice).  During setup on the mfsroot.flp
>
> I get a signal 11 error (Signal 11 error, I am saving what I can. ).
>
>> From there the computer restarts.
>
> I did all kinds of trouble shooting and diagnostics as described by the
> sig11 FAQ link i seen on the FreeBSD site.
>
> I went to a holographic terminal to see the debugging, this error always
> happens as the /etc/fstab is being written.

Before installing a new release of FreeBSD, read the errata, which may
contain important information.  For 3.4, you'll find it at
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.4R/errata.html.

There you will read:

  As shipped, the "Custom" installation option in 3.4 is broken.

  Fix: Both the "Novice" and "Express" install paths still work and
       can be used just as effectively (if not succinctly).
       Alternately, you can invoke the custom installation from the
       "Index" menu (Installation, Custom) or you can download a fixed
       mfsroot.flp floppy image (or boot.flp if you need 2.88MB boot
       media) from the floppies/updates/ directory under:
       ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/3.4-RELEASE/
       The 3.4 ISO installation image is also updated to contain a fix
       for this errata item.

It's difficult to say whether this applies to you, since you didn't
describe what you did, but there's a good chance this is what
happened.  If not, please describe what you did and when it happened.

Greg