Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 2014 22:22:34 -0600
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-apache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Re: apr / freebsd

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014, at 8:46, krichy@cflinux.hu wrote:
> Dear apache maintainers,
>
> I've found an issue with mod_fcgid on FreeBSD 9. I had /tmp cleaning
> enabled in my box, and mod_fcgid had chosen a lockfile under /tmp, which
> after some time was removed,
> and the whole httpd process stopped working from that time. I made some
> tests, and found that SYSV serialization could also be used, does not
> need a temp file, and avoids this issue.
>
> Now I worked around with my local /etc/make.conf as this:
>
> # devel/apr1
> .if ${.CURDIR:M*ports/devel/apr1}
> CONFIGURE_ENV+= apr_lock_method="USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE"
> .endif
>
> But maybe this could be applied to the port globally. Or any other
> workarounds?
>
> Regards,

I can't comment on what is the correct solution, but I'm wondering if
/tmp is the right directory for that lock file in the first place. Is it
not common for Linux distros to be more aggressive about cleaning /tmp?
I thought FreeBSD was rather conservative in this respect.

hier(7) says /var/tmp is "temporary files that are kept between system
reboots".  Perhaps ports that have lock files that shouldn't be touched
by automated processes should really be kept in /var/tmp? (The cleanvar
rc script doesn't touch /var/tmp, fyi)