Date:      Mon, 22 Aug 2005 20:52:33 -0700
From:      Karol Krizka <kkrizka@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow Install CD

On 8/22/05, Emanuel Strobl <Emanuel.strobl@gmx.net> wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 23. August 2005 05:09 CEST schrieb Karol Krizka:
> > Hi,
> > I managed to come accross this old Compaq Proliant server and wanted
> > to try it out for a personal webserver. Since I wanted to try out BSD,
> > I decided to go with it as the operating system. My choice distro (or
> > what do you call it?) was FreeBSD because I use Gentoo Linux and it's
> > package system is a rip-off of FreeBSD's ports. I figured that would
> > be the easiest transition.
> >
> > Now, I am not totally sure which model the server is, but I know that
> > it has a 200Mhz cpu and 128 MB of RAM. Suprisingly after I booted it
> > up (after several tries) I saw the WinXP bootlogo and soon was at the
> > login screen. If it can run that, it can run almost anything! So I put
> > the bootonly bsd cd that I downloaded a couple of days ago and got it
> > to boot. That went well, exept there is a bit of a problem. The input
> > is veeery slow. I press a down arrow and have to wait a minute for it
> > to happen. There was no lag in the installed XP, so what might have
> > brough about it in BSD?
>=20
> Hmm, I can't see any reason for that symptom, have never heard before and
> can't verify that, but I'd suggested to disable ACPI and see if that
> helps. Often you get old hardware with broken ACPI BIOS implementations,
> and I guess you won't find a standard compliant update for a 200Mhz
> anything (guessing i386) CPU!
> So try to set 'hint.acpi.0.disabled=3D1' in /boot/loader.conf
> If that helps, please provide feedback, then probably your BIOS has to be
> blacklisted, so nobody else has to run into the same problem.
>=20
When the cd's boot loader asked me what to do, I pressed 1. I was
thinking about disabling the ACPI too, but when I saw another option
was "Enabled ACPI" I figured that it is disabled by default. I think
it might be as scott said in the other email that i's reading from
cdrom. It is a 52x cdrom, but I assume that the slow cpu has trouble
with it no matter how fast it is.

--=20
Cheers,
Karol Krizka