Date:      Tue, 08 Dec 1998 13:54:26 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Guy Penfold <bakshish@projectx.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: perl &daily,weekly

Guy Penfold wrote:

> hello,
>
> I am new to unix and having some trouble with getting the daily,weekly
> and monthly programs to execute. Eg if i type daily and then return i
> get
> command not found. The same problem also occurs when i write a file to
> be interpreted PERL eg somefile ( do chmod +x somefile to make it
> executable) and then press return. From this i get command notfound.
> What am i doing wrong, some assitance would be appreciated.

The file is not in a directory in your path. Unlike DOS, Unix does not
look in the current directory first unless you explicitly include
``.'' as the first component in the path. You can have ``.'' anywhere
in your path but it is not recommended.

Try ./somefile.

If "somefile" is in your path (type ``echo $PATH'' to find out) you
could try ``rehash'' after making "somefile" executable.

> Also if you install the PERL5 package will it write over the existing
> PERL4.036 or create a new directory giving you a system with two
> versions of PERL.I am running Freebsd2.2.6.

It shouldn't overwrite the current version.

HTH

> regards
>
> Guy

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com