Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 16:13:36 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Last farewell to 386BSD

We have just upgraded our last 386BSD 0.1.24 machine to FreeBSD.  It has been
plodding along, monitoring machine status, for some years now.  It pulled one
too many death-by-out-of-swap stunts, and so I applied the FreeBSD 2.1.5 CD.

For the nostalgic BSD history types, I note that 386BSD 0.1 dates from
July 1992, and that few of the folks in CONTRIB.LIST are known to me, though
one is Linus, and 4 of them ended up in the FreeBSD core team.

The final (0.1.24) patchkit seems to be from July 1993.  Oh! such hazy
memories of times when just installing the thing put hair on your chest.

/386bsd (the kernel) is from January 1994, so we've been fixing problems using
just the reset button for, say, 31 months.  Hmm.  Slack?  Not us!

Is there any point to me telling you all this stuff?  Well, I want to know
if there is any life left in 386BSD.  Dr Dobbs keeps advertising the "386BSD
Reference CD".  Is it good for anything?  What do Messrs Jolitz do now?
Whatever happened to Jesus Monroy, Jr?  Did anybody get any "fairings"?  We
have to know!

Stephen.