Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:19:11 +0100
From:      Tore Lund <tl32@next.online.no>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: List replies

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 11:54:00PM +0100, Tore Lund wrote:
>> [snip]
>> I request that this misunderstood piece of "etiquette" is revised.  If
>> someone has the brains to find this list as well as the brains to use
>> FreeBSD at all, they also have the brains to come back here to look for
>> answers.
>
> Wrong.  Not everybody who posts here is even aware that it is a mailing
> list, much less how to read mails sent to the list.

I guess the problem is lack of imagination on my part.  I am not able to
fathom how anyone can pick up and use the address of this list without
realizing that it is a mailing list.  Nor have I seen this point
explained in the many previous discussions on this topic.

> There are reasons why this list is explicitly and deliberatly set up so you
> do not need to be subscribed to post here.

Yes, and those reasons would also be good reasons to ponder whether a
mailing list is the right type of forum.  Lurkers and newbies should
preferably peruse other people's question for a while before they post,
and this is hard to do if they are not even aware that this is a mailing
list.

An HTML forum is probably out of the question, but I wish FreeBSD would
at least consider turning the mailing lists into newsgroups - something
like news.mozilla.org - unless someone has a better idea.
--
    Tore