Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 1997 17:03:06 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        PLAZAS_CHRISTIAN@COLSTATE.EDU (Christian)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 Question

> Hi,
>
> About six months or more (probably more) ago there was a discussion
> on one of the FreeBSD lists (I think it was questions, but I could be
> wrong) about re-linking the X server with phkmalloc because the stock
> X server was linked against another libary which had major memory
> leaks.  I'm wondering if this is still true, and if so how would I go
> about relinking the X server with a better malloc library?

this is probably not an issue with 2.2 which use phkmalloc as a default.
I have done the above on my 2.1 system and have been running happily
with phkmalloc for almost one year. phkmalloc evidences bugs in some
programs (noticeably the version of "vi" in 2.1R when autoindent and
word-wrap is enabled, and also gnuplot) but the X server seems to be
quite stable (both S3 and SVGA)

	Luigi