Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 14:07:22 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        EUGENE COOPER JR <BUICK85@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD

> EUGENE COOPER JR wrote:
>
> CAN THIS PROGRAM BE USED WITH WINDOWS98 AND WILL IT WORK WITH THE
> ASUS P5A MOTHERBOARD, AND THE AMD K-2 300MHZ SOCKET 7.

No! and probably. First of all, FreeBSD is an OS and it won't run on
anything from MS. You can't run NT on Win 9x for example. You can
share a system by multi-booting but that is it.

The Asus motherboard's work well with FreeBSD. Where you will get into
trouble is with the other hardware. Checkout the release you are
interested in at http://www.freebsd.org/releases/ You will find most
of the hardware in the release notes. There is a HARDWARE.TXT in the
root directory of each release that contains much more specific
informaiton. For example, see
ftp://ftp3.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/3.2-RELEASE/HARDWARE.TXT. There is
also one for 2.2.8-RELEASE.

Questions you can't ask FreeBSD people are "will my video card do
x-windows". That is an application and you have to visit their web
site to check out hardware. See http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html

No-No's on this list are SHOUTING and HTML based e-mail. The caps lock
key is easy to turn off. Changing to a text based e-mail system
requires changing your e-mail configuration. Set it to fold at 70
characters at the same time. HTML is usually considered bad form on
any list server where they archive the messages and provide a search
engine to access the archived messages. Search engines are provided
for all of the FreeBSD lists. A lot of FreeBSD people use text based
e-mailers. A slow machine runs really fast in text mode. HTML needs a
windowing system of some sort and HTML makes your message unreadable
on a text based emailer.
--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA