Date:      Fri, 7 Aug 1998 22:48:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, jb@cimlogic.com.au, mike@smith.net.au, Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr, chuckr@Glue.umd.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C and static initialization with unions

> > I also believe that having to port the compiler is a ridiculous barrier
> > to entry, and one of the reasons FreeBSD ports are not more prevalent.
>
> Crap. FreeBSD ports are not more prevalent because some people spend more
> time doing the yadda yadda than actually getting off their butts and
> doing something to contribute.

The original GCC back in the early days did not support a large number
of platforms; I think FreeBSD would have been run on a lot of platforms
if the tools had been available to let that happen.  There were two
attempts, the Acorn RISC and Jack Vogel's port of 1.1.x to SPARC,
that both died the grim death in the USL vs. BSDI upheaval.  8-(.

That said, let me back off a *little*; your reason is much better than
mine for why FreeBSD does not *now* run on many platforms.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.