Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 1996 13:17:33 -0500
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@post.vale.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Questions <questions@freebsd.org>, "'tcg@ime.net'" <tcg@ime.net>
Subject:   RE: Squid configuration

Gary Chrysler wrote:

> Does anyone know where I may find further info on setting up
> squid for proxying on 2.1.5.

See
  http://www.nlanr.net/Cache/
and
  http://www.nlanr.net/Cache/Configuration
the latter of which has live config files.

> I'm having a b**** of a time figuring this out. :(

Configure your web bowser to proxy HTTP and FTP to the squid server,
port 3128.  Start with a generic one like Netscape or MS Internet Exploder.

> My goals are to proxy the rest of my LAN to the Internet via
> FreeBSD/Squid.

Yep, doing it here.

> Any info/pointers/urls would be *greatly* appreciated.

Specific questions will help us help you.

> Yup, been crusing the archives all morning, No real info on squid
> besides 'Use squid', 'I use squid', 'squid is better', ..., ..., ....

I use squid.  Squid is better.  Use squid.  :)

I went ahead and pinged the NLANR caches (see URL above) and registered
for the two best ones.  Make sure you can get UDP traffic to and from
port 3130 past your firewall if you plan to use external cache servers.