Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:35:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Alexander Sanda <entropy@compufit.at>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP (userland) troubles ?

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Brian Somers wrote:

> Are you using a routing daemon ?  Also, have you tried just having
> ``add default HISADDR'' in ppp.conf and leaving everything out of
> ppp.linkup ?  What do your routing tables look like before/during/after
> the hang ?

I usually run routed, yes, and it didn't ever affect the
dialup functionality. Disabling routed does not change the behaviour in
any way.

My ppp.linkup doesn't really contain much stuff. The only thing it does
is running the mailqueue.

Also, I have "add default HISADDR" in my ppp.conf. A sample output of
netstat -nr after establishing the connection looks like follows:

[73]root@darkstar:/root #>netstat -nr
Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
default            131.130.230.14     UGSc       10        1     tun0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH         21     1910      lo0
131.130.230.14     131.130.231.66     UH         11        0     tun0
131.130.231.66     127.0.0.1          UH          0        0      lo0
[74]root@darkstar:/root #>

In this case, 131.130.231.66 is the adress assigned to my tun0
interface, 131.130.230.14 is the peer. So this, really looks ok.

To remove any possible influences, I have temporarily removed the lan
configuration (normally, this box has a 3c905 NIC for my littly lan).

In fact, I never had problems like that, they started to show up a few
days ago (a lot of stuff has been commited the last couple of days, and
I also noted small changes to /usr/src/usr.sbin/ppp.

The delay until everything works ok looks like something waits for some
buffer to be filled up, because there is absolutely no modem activity
for the first couple of seconds.

--
# /AS/                               http://privat.schlund.de/entropy/ #