Date:      Tue, 2 Dec 2003 11:07:44 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Laurent Demaret <laurent.demaret@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Console ps2 mouse behavior control (was : Re: test)

A: Becouse is harder to read.
Q: Why I don't like writing on top ?

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 15:54:49 +0100
Laurent Demaret <laurent.demaret@free.fr> wrote:
> Le lundi, 1 d=E9c 2003, =E0 15:27 Europe/Paris, Ion-Mihai Tetcu a =E9crit=
 :
>=20
> > Also note that, if you use 5.1 and you have some AWARD BIOS version and
> > you boot with ACPI enabled (default) the problem could be commming from
> > here. Try booting without ACPI first and see if that's the case. There=
=20
> > is
> > an open PR on this issue ( namely:
> Hi Ion-Mihai
>=20
> I did seen the technical note you are talking about, that's what=20
> decided me to ask this list : because I was not sure of what I was=20
> doing.

>  From that time I refound an usb mouse that runs perfectly. Will never=20
> know why this ps2 mouse did not.

Sounds good.

> So I am presently leaving my box installing gnome, I just had to learn=20
> how to install from port, make install clean and re-activate (then=20
> kill) an install process bwait a download never coming ...

You will find the fetch target of make interesting. If you are in the
ports somewhere annd you do :

# make fetch

the ports system will begin downloading the sources, but not building
them. You can this way issue an make fetch at night and build the port
next day, which is usefull when you have to build a big port like gnome,
kde or open office. An other intersting target for make is:=20

#make fetch-recursive

which will fetch not only the sources for the port you are in, but also
the sourfces for the ports that port depnds on (note, however, that
fetch recursive will always download all the sources, even if they are
already in you /usr/ports/distfiles).

Yet there are 2 more things I want to talk you about:

1. the -k option of make, which tells make to continue, event if it has
been an error=20

2. the BATCH and INTERACTIVE options, as there are some ports that need
to get input from you, before fetching/building. This could be set as an
enviroment (e.g. for csh: # setenv BATCH 1 or on the make commend line
with the -D option).

To sumarize, I have a nightly cron job that does:

#cd /usr/ports && make -k -DBATCH fetch

Actually, it is a little more complicated that this, but that's the
ideea.

Take a look at:

http://www.freebsd-fr.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.=
html
or=20
/localhost/usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/index.html

This will make you more familiarized with how the ports system is
working.

> Where you helped me by the presentation of grep command and=20
> visualisation of my moused work, so I had been able to see what was=20
> going on.

:) The frenldy man page. Once you get use to it, it's a wonderfull help.
Also there are very interesting articles on:
http://www.onlamp.com/bsd/
very interesting for newbies are=20
http://www.onlamp.com/bsd/#getting_started

You will also find a link for MacOsX an that page.
=20
> I will now go to see wether I can help somewhere, translating files=20
> maybe, but there too need to read the manual first ;-/

There is work to do on the french doc project, you're right.

--=20
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user