Date:      Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:11:48 -0500
From:      Andy Sparrow <spadger@best.com>
To:        "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crashes on 4.5-RELEASE

--==_Exmh_1162552160P

This is a multipart MIME message.

--==_Exmh_11625330800

> I also have had an Omnibook 6000 for a year with no problems.  It's
> currently running 4.4-STABLE of about 21 Sep 2001.  (In fact, I'm using
> it now.)  I had some troubles with bad blocks on my HD, so got a new
> one shipped out from HP.  Put the new drive in a different OB6k to
> rebuild my workstation on it and crash-ola.  First thought, bad RAM in
> the new box.  I swapped out the RAM, still crashing.  Second thought,
> bad main board/cpu/something else.  I grabbed a third OB6k, different
> RAM, different disk.  Still crashing.

Ouch. Are they the same vintage, or are the ones that don't work perhaps
somewhat later? I've often wondered whether the later, faster 6000's are
really exactly the same, particularly after the 6100 proved awkward to get
everything working. And I'd like one of the 1Ghz 6000's...

> I'm attaching my kernel conf.  Please send me yours (although it even
> crashes with GENERIC).  Thanks.

You're welcome, see attached.

I don't see anything obvious in yours, although it's clear I need to go
through mine carefully again and update default flags/ints here and there.
Also:

i)	You use UNION? Wow :)

ii)	Does your sound work with that 'pcm' line?

> BTW, I've been using shutdown -p with no problems on my 4.4 OB6k.  It's
> shutdown -r or shutdown -h followed by hitting any key that hangs up
> hard.  Pretty annoying when I forget to -p.

Huh, I'll have to re-check that. Now where's that paperclip, just in case :-)

Good luck!

Cheers,

AS

--==_Exmh_11625330800

#
# GENERIC -- Generic kernel configuration file for FreeBSD/i386
#
# For more information on this file, please read the handbook section on
# Kernel Configuration Files:
#
#    http://www.FreeBSD.org/handbook/kernelconfig-config.html
#
# The handbook is also available locally in /usr/share/doc/handbook
# if you've installed the doc distribution, otherwise always see the
# FreeBSD World Wide Web server (http://www.FreeBSD.org/) for the
# latest information.
#
# An exhaustive list of options and more detailed explanations of the
# device lines is also present in the ./LINT configuration file. If you are
# in doubt as to the purpose or necessity of a line, check first in LINT.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC,v 1.246.2.5 2000/06/08 23:07:29 jhb Exp $

machine		i386
cpu			I686_CPU
ident		tureg
maxusers	0

options 	INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
options		CPU_ENABLE_SSE
options 	DDB

#makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		#Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols
makeoptions	CONF_CFLAGS=-fno-builtin  #Don't allow use of memcmp, etc.
#makeoptions	KERNEL=tureg		#Build kernel "foo" and install "/foo"
# Only build Linux API modules and plus those parts of the sound system I need.
#makeoptions	MODULES_OVERRIDE="linux sound/snd sound/pcm sound/driver/maestro3"

#  Only the INET (Internet) family is officially supported in FreeBSD.
options 	INET			#Internet communications protocols
options 	INET6			#IPv6 communications protocols
options 	IPSEC			#IP security
options 	IPSEC_ESP		#IP security (crypto; define w/ IPSEC)
options 	IPSEC_DEBUG		#debug for IP security

#
# SMB/CIFS requester
# NETSMB enables support for SMB protocol, it requires LIBMCHAIN and LIBICONV
# options.
# NETSMBCRYPTO enables support for encrypted passwords.
options 	NETSMB			#SMB/CIFS requester
options 	NETSMBCRYPTO		#encrypted password support for SMB

# mchain library. It can be either loaded as KLD or compiled into kernel
options 	LIBMCHAIN		#mbuf management library

options 	LIBICONV

# netgraph(4). Enable the base netgraph code with the NETGRAPH option.
#options 	NETGRAPH		#netgraph(4) system
#options	DUMMYNET
#options	BRIDGE

options		USER_LDT
options		IPFIREWALL
options		IPDIVERT

options 	FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options 	FFS_ROOT		#FFS usable as root device [keep this!]
options 	SOFTUPDATES		#Enable FFS soft updates support
options 	UFS_DIRHASH		#Improve performance on big directories
options 	MFS			#Memory Filesystem
options 	MD_ROOT			#MD is a potential root device
options 	NFS			#Network Filesystem
options 	NFS_ROOT		#NFS usable as root device, NFS required
options 	MSDOSFS			#MSDOS Filesystem
options 	CD9660			#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	CD9660_ROOT		#CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660 required
options 	PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options 	COMPAT_43		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options 	SCSI_DELAY=5000		#Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options 	IDE_DELAY=5000		#Delay (in ms) before probing IDE
options 	UCONSOLE		#Allow users to grab the console
options 	USERCONFIG		#boot -c editor
options 	VISUAL_USERCONFIG	#visual boot -c editor
options 	KTRACE			#ktrace(1) support
options 	SYSVSHM			#SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			#SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			#SYSV-style semaphores
options 	P1003_1B		#Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options		ICMP_BANDLIM		#Rate limit bad replies
options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev

device		isa
device		pci
device		agp

# Floppy drives
device		fdc0	at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device		fd0		at fdc0 drive 0

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device		ata0	at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device		ata1	at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device		ata
device		atadisk			# ATA disk drives
device		atapicd			# ATAPI CDROM drives
#options 	ATA_STATIC_ID		#Static device numbering
#options 	ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA	#Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

# SCSI Controllers
#device		ncr		# NCR/Symbios Logic
#device		sym		# NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)

#device		adv0	at isa?
#device		adw
#device		bt0	at isa?
#device		aha0	at isa?
#device		aic0	at isa?

# SCSI peripherals
#device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required)
#device		da		# Direct Access (disks)
#device		sa		# Sequential Access (tape etc)
#device		cd		# CD
#device		pass		# Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device		atkbdc0	at isa? port IO_KBD
device		atkbd0	at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1

device		psm0	at atkbdc? irq 12
# Options for psm:
options		PSM_HOOKRESUME          #hook the system resume event, useful
									#for some laptops
options		PSM_RESETAFTERSUSPEND   #reset the device at the resume event

device		vga0	at isa?

# To include support for VESA video modes
options 	VESA

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device	splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc0	at isa? flags 0x100

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device		npx0	at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device		apm0 	at nexus?

device          smbus           # Bus support, required for smb below.

device          intpm
device          alpm
device          ichsmb

device          smb

# PCCARD (PCMCIA) support
device		card
device		pcic0	at isa? irq 10 port 0x3e0 iomem 0xd0000

# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio0	at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device		sio1
device		sio2
#device		sio3	at isa?

# Note that motherboard sound devices may require options PNPBIOS.
#options 	PNPBIOS

# Parallel port
device		ppc0	at isa? irq 7
device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt		# Printer
device		plip		# TCP/IP over parallel
device		ppi		# Parallel port interface device

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocated.
pseudo-device	loop		# Network loopback
pseudo-device	ether		# Ethernet support
#pseudo-device	sl	1	# Kernel SLIP
#pseudo-device	ppp	1	# Kernel PPP
pseudo-device	tun		# Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device	pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device	md		# Memory "disks"
pseudo-device	gif		# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
pseudo-device	faith	1	# IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device	bpf		#Berkeley packet filter

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device      miibus      # MII bus support
#device      dc      # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
#device      fxp     # Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)
#device      pcn     # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 NICs
#device      rl      # RealTek 8129/8139
#device      sf      # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
#device      sis     # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
#device      ste     # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
#device      tl      # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
#device      tx      # SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')
#device      vr      # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
#device      wb      # Winbond W89C840F
#device      wx      # Intel Gigabit Ethernet Card (``Wiseman'')
device      xl      # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')

# For PC-Card devices...
#device		sio1
#device		sio2
#device		sio3
device		ed
device		sn
#device		xl

# SCSI peripherals
device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required)
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)

# USB support
device		uhci
device		ohci
device		usb