Date:      Tue, 14 Oct 1997 20:35:35 -0500
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        don@PartsNow.com, Marty Leisner <leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com>, Jacques Hugo <jacques@wired.ctech.ac.za>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mmx or ppro

> On Oct 10, 1997 at 12:38:11PM -0700, Don Wilde wrote:
> > Since no software is written for MMX extensions, a PPro will work better
> > than a Pentium/MMX, but a PentiumII will beat either, since a) it has
> > larger caches and b) it has faster clock rates. Even if the software
>
> I thought we went over this before?  A PPro has a lower clock rate than
> the P-II (all you overclockers can sit down for the moment), but it's
> L2 cache is twice the speed of a P-II, which makes a significant difference,
> depending on the workload involved.
>
> Besides, (according the the Microprocessor Report) Intel also makes a
> PPro with a 1MB 2-Lvl cache.  That isn't exactly what I would call
> small. (or cheap, for that matter).

When faced with this choice myself a couple of months ago, I chose the PPro
at 166 MHz with 512k cache at about $325 over a cheaper 180 with 256k or
more expensive 200 with only 256k. In addition to the larger L2 cache I got
66 MHz bus speed vs. 60 for the 150 or 180. Not rerribly interested in
overclocking as I'd guess the PPro-166 is a -200 that failed the grade.

The PPro-166/512k appears to be moderately hard to find.

Other than some problems with the floppy interface which was cured by "load
BIOS defaults" in the BIOS setup, this Asus P6NP5 and PPro-166 have been
the most trouble free and crash free PC hardware I've ever used.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net