Date:      Tue, 13 Jul 1999 19:22:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Coder <dacoder@dcoder.com>
To:        Patrick Walentiny <pezzy@vntech.com>
Cc:        "David J. Clark" <david.j.clark@lmco.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring serial ports

Hm, I wouldn't bother looking for /dev/sio0:  You won't find it.  Go for
/dev/ttyd0.  In /etc/ttys, turn it from "off" to "on".  Also, you need to
replace "dialup" with whatever kind of terminal your rf controller uses.  It
may be dialup:  you'll just have to experiment.  Also, depending on kind of
interface the controller uses, you may have to change the fourth field.
"std.9600" is probably right if the rf controller's connection mimics that of
a normal serial port operating at 9600 bps.  If it is faster, use the faster
speed.

The reason for using ttyd0 instead of ttyd1, incidentally, is that Unix
names its terminals and ports starting with 0.  Windows starts with 1.

dc
David Coder
SysAdmin
WebHosting