Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 11:44:00 +0800 (CST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        thompson@squirrel.tgsoft.com (mark thompson)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-chat@freebsd.com
Subject:   Re: floppy flaky

mark thompson writes:
>    Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 08:50:19 +0200
>    From: j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
>
>    As mark thompson wrote:
>
>> Pretty strange, that no errors are reported, huh? Floppy drive, cable,
>> controller, software?
>
>    Writing a floppy can only detect catastrophic errors (sector marks not
>    found).  Data-field only errors remain undetected.
>
>    Reformat your floppy.
>
> True. But the read should detect a bad checksum, not just return bad
> bits, nicht wahr? And besides, i DID reformat the floppies, it still
> failed pretty much the same.
>
> I'm flummoxed.

I seem to recall things like this happening in the "good old days".
We frequently had two different 5 1/4" floppy drives (360 kb and 1.2
MB) on our machines to get around the problem, which was related to
different track widths for the two formats.

Here's a scenario: somehow (not difficult), your floppy drive has got
out of alignment.  As a result, you're accessing it slightly
off-track.  Formatting it writes new tracks, slightly off the old
tracks, but reading still "sees" the old tracks as well.

So why don't you get CRC errors?  Good question.  My guess is that
something is ignoring them.

Greg